Fisheries Technical Section
The section was organized in 1943 to standardize commercial fishing regulations and led the first coordinated fish population surveys on the Upper Mississippi River in the mid 1950’s. Today the section continues to focus on cooperative fisheries management in the Upper Mississippi River.
- Human and climate effects on the fisheries resources of the Upper Mississippi River.
- Standardization of sport fishing regulations across the Upper Mississippi.
- Communication of interjurisdictional fisheries concerns in the UMR.
- Reconnecting floodplain habitats to support fish population growth.
Ad Hoc Committees
Invasive Carp Ad Hoc
The UMRCC Fisheries Technical Section formed an Ad-hoc Invasive Carp Team to coordinate Asian carp prevention and control efforts in the Upper Mississippi River Basin per Goal 4 in the 2010 Fisheries Plan, to ‘slow or eliminate the spread or introduction of aquatic nuisance species, including pathogens to the UMR.’
- Spring 2021 Meeting Minutes (PDF, 270 KB)
- Spring 2021 Agenda (PDF, 170 KB)
- Fall 2021 Meeting Minutes (PDF, 1 MB)
- Fall 2021 Agenda (PDF, 173 KB)
- Fall 2020 Meeting Minutes (PDF, 366 KB)
- Fall 2020 Agenda (PDF, 174 KB)
- Commercial fishing state regulation comparison tables by Gear | Species | License Requirements
- UMRCC fisheries compendium 4th edition
- Challenges in merging fisheries research and management: the Upper Mississippi River experience, Garvey, Ickes, Zigler (PDF, 1 MB)